BERRY CRISP WITH SPICED-OATMEAL CRUMB TOPPING
From Bon Appetit – July 2008
yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
The topping on this is to die for. The recipe called for nectarines, which I really want to try it with when they are in season. However, I made it with strawberries and raspberries and it was divine. I look forward to trying it with blackberries in the fall 🙂
I prepped the berries and topping in advance so that throwing it together for guests after dinner was quick and easy.
* 3/4 cup all purpose flour
* 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon (generous) ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon (generous) ground cardamom
* 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
* 2 pounds nectarines, halved, pitted, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices (about 5 cups)
* 1 1/2-pint container fresh raspberries
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* Vanilla ice cream
Mix flour, oats, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cardamom in medium bowl. Add melted butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture comes together in small clumps. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
For fruit mixture:
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F. Butter 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Combine nectarines, raspberries, sugar, and cornstarch in large bowl; toss to blend. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle topping evenly over fruit. Bake until fruit mixture is bubbling thickly and topping is golden brown, about 50 minutes. Cool 20 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.